Friday 11 November 2011

Form Development & Resolution

Initial Sketches
The following sketches show the early development of my form, both in plan and elevation.

 Regular geometry exploration sketch 1


  Regular geometry exploration sketch 2


 Frame exploration sketch 1 - Lead to Test Model a below


Frame exploration sketch 2 - Lead to Test Model b below

 Early concept perspective sketch 1

Early concept perspective sketch 2


Physical Models

Test Model a
Below is my first test model, exploring how frames could achieve the transforming of my planning form into other dimensions.

Image 1


Image 2

Image 3

Test Model b
Further exploration of form through frames. This time I utilised an A-frame arrangement. I found the form that developed in this model to be much more powerful than test model a. However the practicalities in terms of space utilisation become apparent in this frame arrangement.


Image 1


Image 2


Image 3


Test Model a + b = C
I decided my best option was to pursue a form/frame arrangement that was a combination of both test model a and test model b. Below are sketches exploring this.

Frame consolidation sketch 1


Frame consolidation perspective sketch 2

Following this I constructed a third model: test model a + b = C. This model shows the progression of the design into a resolved form that is both aesthetically pleasing and practical in terms of spatial usability.

Image 1


Image 2

 Image 3


 Image 4


Image 5


Image 6 - Finished Model!


Image 7 - Finished Model!

No comments:

Post a Comment